Static Routing 172.16.0.0/32

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Dec 8 22:25:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Ryan Hamel <Ryan.Hamel at quadranet.com> wrote:

> I'm not implying HTTP, I'm implying a static route at each sites private
layer 3 router (it'll move to BGP in the future). The repository server
listens on the IP as well.

> My original question was the fact of using 172.16.0.0/32 as a usable IP
address (not even caring about anycast).

> Internal private network that is reachable by clients.

Hi Ryan,

Clients meaning employee computers or clients meaning other networks who
subscribe to your service and connect with a VPN?

The the former, save yourself grief and use a different /32.

For the latter, it's semi-clever. It neatly avoids the problem of customers
using the same RFC1918 addresses as you. Even if they're using a subnet
like 172.16.0.0/24, a /32 route can usually override that one address
without ill effect.

It's only semi-clever because the .0 address is a corner case in the code
and corner cases are where bugs are most likely to happen.  And if you're
sending clients from that address to another host with a regular 172.16
address anyway...

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us