Static Routing 172.16.0.0/32

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Dec 8 21:28:29 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Ryan Hamel <Ryan.Hamel at quadranet.com>
wrote:

> A colleague of mine has static routed 172.16.0.0/32 to a usable IP
> address, to have a single known IP address be static routed to a regions
> closest server. While I understand the IP address does work (pings and what
> not), I don't feel this should be the proper IP address used, but something
> more feasible like a usable IP in a dedicated range (172.31.0.0/24 for
> example).

Hi Ryan,

Some clarifications:

1. You say, "static routed to a regions closest server." What do you mean
by that? A static-routed anycast address?

2. In what reachability context? Is this a private network? An ISP network
where the reachability should be the ISP and its customers?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>