Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Wed Dec 6 21:26:00 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 12:29:30PM -0500, Gordon Ewasiuk via NANOG wrote:
> and an online form where you can report EC2 abusers:
> https://aws.amazon.com/forms/report-abuse

1. Used it (and the abuse@ address).  Either (a) no response and/or (b)
boilerplate response.  No responses indicating that reports were read and
understood by a human.  No responses indicating any action taken, whether
reactive or proactive.  No apparent change in observed attacks/abuse.

2. Y'know, if I can see attacks/abuse arriving at networks/systems
that I run, then surely they can see it leaving networks/systems that
they run.  The same data is available to them as is available to me,
and I have absolutely no trouble noticing it.  Why don't they see it and
do something about it even before I (or anybody else) has the chance to
report it?  Better yet, why not study the large-scale patterns over time
and proactively address it?  (In fairness, the SMTP rate-limit described
inter alia is exactly the sort of thing that would be part of this,
and it's good that they're doing that.)

---rsk