Small full BGP table capable router with low power consumption

Colin Baker me at colinbaker.net
Tue Dec 5 20:34:57 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-05 12:44, Adam Lawson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> I think the options that came up are:
>
> <snip>
>
> - Juniper MXs
> The reason I wrote M7i instead of the MX was I far as I looked on the
> Juniper
> site, it seems to use more power than the M7i (though you get more
> performance).

RE-800 are so slow that I've had numerous instances where I've made a
change, banged my head on the desk for several minutes trying to figure
out why it isn't working, and then realize that the control plane was
still thinking about it.  It will take full tables though, barely, and
eventually.  Imagine the RE-1800s are fine, haven't used one personally.
  C-FEB-E should have plenty of room for your FIB.

What's the application?  I'll throw a somewhat oddball option out there
- you can fit full tables into RIB on many Juniper EX switches.  Limited
use cases for sure, but it can be handy if you can limit what's
installed into FIB.

--
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-Kurt Cobain