Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider

Robert Story rstory at isi.edu
Tue Dec 5 02:42:08 UTC 2017

On Mon 2017-12-04 16:00:11-0700 Grant wrote:
> I've been using a VPS as my primary mail server for > 2 years and
> have only been black listed once.  Even that was a 12 hour automated
> listing because I sent one message to an address I had not used in 7
> years, which had since been converted into a spam trap.
>
> I've also known others that use VPSs for this exact thing with
> considerable success.

I do the same thing, with pretty much the same experience. One initial
blacklist hiccup that was easily resolved.

I ran my mail server at home for a while, but after a few storm-related
outages I switched to a cheap VPS doing store-and-foward.

You can also shop around to get some storage (20-50GB) that you can use
for remote backups of critical files (encrypted, of course).

I find Low End Box <https://lowendbox.com/> is a good resource for
finding VPS providers. You will have to pay attention if you want IPv6
support, as it's far from universal.

--
Robert Story <http://www.isi.edu/~rstory>
USC Information Sciences Institute <http://www.isi.edu/>