Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Tue Dec 5 06:25:13 UTC 2017

On 12/04/2017 02:06 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:
> Namely, when I ran my server at home, it took a search warrant to
> legally enter my house to access the server, which I would be
> immediately made aware of.  I can't say the same with the same degree of
> certainty for a server located in a co-location facility.

It takes a search warrant for co-located gear, but the warrants I
received as a rack monkey at a Web hosting company were served on the
company, not on the customer, and those warrants included gag orders --
I could not inform the customer that his equipment had its hard disk
copied.  (Now THERE's a story, but you will have to by me beer to hear it.)

Mail tap orders?  Same deal, had to do narrow captures and not speak a
word of it to anyone.  (IRS warrant in that case.  And if you think I'm
violating the gag order, that was 11 years ago.)