BGP next-hop self benefits

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 12:02:56 UTC 2017

Hi

For the MPLS L3VPN the answer is that the next hop attribute needs to be
an address from the default VRF and if the peering is happening in a VRF
context, there is no address from the default VRF you could use as next
hop other than self.

This can be rather inconvenient as there are advantages to have the real
next hop. For example fast rerouting works better when all defective
routes can be removed in one go because the next hop was removed by the
IGP instantly invalidating the affected routes.

Regards,

Baldur