Alternatives to ISE?

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sun Dec 3 15:22:31 UTC 2017

I’ve used PacketFence for several years, but it’s kind of fragile. Compared to many FOSS systems, it’s exceptionally well documented, and uses reasonably good Web GUI standards. It also supports Cisco switches well. However, I routinely have to twiddle with it when one or another internal components silently crashes. It’s about ads fiddly as Asterisk is for telephony: just when you think you’ve got it working, some unpredicted external event — a new device or an OS security patch — breaks it. What PF really needs is some kind of internal monitoring and notification system to let you know when and what stopped working. Various users have jury rigged their own scripts and published them, but they’re too customized to work generically for any PF installation.

I’ve seen commercial NAC systems that appear to be much more reliable. Cisco’s is not among them. I haven’t taken the time to try them out yet, however.

 -mel