WiFi - login page redirection not working

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Dec 1 02:26:04 UTC 2017

> On Nov 30, 2017, at 13:24 , Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:
>
> non-SSL requests are not the issue.
>
> SSL requests are.  For example, Google cache's their 301 redirect from http://www.google.com <http://www.google.com/> to https://www.google.com <https://www.google.com/> which means clients that had access while that browser ps stays active will still attempt https instead of http, regardless of what you actually type.

Right, you’re talking about HSTS as I mentioned below.

However, if there’s a well known URL for getting the captive portal to work (e.g. http://captive.portal), then we educate users (or
browsers that they can type captive.portal (or whatever URL we choose) instead of google (which was my traditional go to before HSTS,
I admit) and voila… Problem solved.

I’m fortunate enough to have my own non-HSTS domain that I use for this purpose and it’s quite easy and effective.

Owen