Validating possible BGP MITM attack

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 17:47:09 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Steve Feldman <feldman at twincreeks.net>
wrote:

> Interesting.  We also got similar BGPMon alerts about disaggregated
> portions of couple of our prefixes. I didn't see any of the bad prefixes in
> route-views, though.
>
> The AS paths in the alerts started with "131477 38478 ..." and looked
> valid after that.  Job's suggestion would explain that.

Looking back at a bunch of historical route leak incidents... they often
seem to be this sort of thing :( I think I normally term them; "internap
box problems"

I think internap doesn't even really sell that product anymore though :( so
now I'll call them 'noction problems' instead I guess.

lack of outbound route filtering can be painful yo!