Max Prefix Out, was Re: Verizon 701 Route leak?

Jörg Kost jk at ip-clear.de
Thu Aug 31 13:21:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

but in reality you will factorise and summarize outbound and inbound
numbers, create spare room for sessions and failover scenarios and
therefore leaks and especially partial leaks can still occur.

In another example scenario the BGP process may not only shutdown the
session to B, that has run into an outbound warning, but all other
sessions to prevent "leaks". Last-resort the router will only judge by
the number of the prefixes and therefore could shutdown himself by
accident, especially if this router was not the origin. That could be a
global headache ;-)

Jörg