Virtual or Remote Peering

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 07:31:52 UTC 2017

On 15 August 2017 at 15:52, Rod Beck <rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com> wrote:
> How well does this service work? I understand it usually involves point-to-multipoint Switched Ethernet with VLANs and resold IX ports. Sounds like a service for ISP that would like to peer, but have relatively small volumes for peering purposes or lopsided volumes.
>

> Roderick Beck
>
> Director of Global Sales
>
> United Cable Company
>
> DRG Undersea Consulting
>
> Affiliate Member
>
> www.unitedcablecompany.com<http://www.unitedcablecompany.com>
>
> 85 Király utca, 1077 Budapest
>
> rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com
>
> 36-30-859-5144
>

> [1467221477350_image005.png]

I think for very samll providers were cost pretty much governs
everything, it is quite handy.

I know of a small provider who takes/took a 1G pipe to such a remote
connectivity provider, the pipe is split with VLANs and over one VLAN
they have a remote peering session to a IXP, over another VLAN they
receive a blended transit service and over another VLAN L2
connectivity to other PoP the remote peering provider is also.

It is several eggs in one basket but for very small providers this can
provide a much needed money saving opportunity.

Cheers,
James.