Creating a Circuit ID Format

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 07:24:15 UTC 2017

On 21 August 2017 at 21:26, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are building a new fiber network, and need help creating a circuit ID
> format to for new fiber circuits. Is there a guide or standard for fiber
> circuit formats? Does the circuit ID change when say a customer upgrades
> for 100Mbps to 1Gbps port?
>
> What do the larger carriers do? Any advice on creating a circuit ID format
> for a brand new fiber network?
>

>  Originally we ran a CLEC using a LECs copper, and our circuit ID was
> historically a telephone number for DSL circuits. The ILEC had a complex
> method for assigning circuit IDs.
>
> I am sure anything will work as long as you keep track of it, but any
> advice would be great!

In my opinion the circuit ID should be an abitrary (but unique) value
and nothing more. As Nick suggested start at 1 and go up. If your
company is called ABC Ltd then maybe have your first circuit ID as
ABC00000001 and count up from there, it's as simple as that.

For me, all the circuit ID should be is a record number/ID of a
database entry and nothing more (or a search string). Some people like
to have circuit IDs which include circuit types, or circuit speeds, or
interface type, but as you asked, do you then change the circuit ID if
the circuit speed changes, or the interface types changes, or the
medium etc?

No, it's just a pointer to a database record, KISS.

Cheers,
James.