Virtual or Remote Peering

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Aug 17 05:42:21 UTC 2017

Subject: Re: Virtual or Remote Peering Date: Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 08:02:47AM -0500 Quoting Mike Hammett (nanog at ics-il.net):

>>> How well does this service work? I understand it usually involves point-to-multipoint Switched Ethernet with VLANs and resold IX ports. Sounds like a service for ISP that would like to peer, but have relatively small volumes for peering purposes or lopsided volumes.

>> Its like buying regular ip-transit, but worse.

> That seems to be a rather lopsided opinion.

You get connections to other operators over an unreliable path that you
have no control over, and the opportunities to keep traffic local are
limited. Adding to that, it is all your fault since your provider does
not do L3 and can claim a very passive rôle in the process.

Like transit, but worse.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668