Puerto Rico Internet Exchange

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Sat Aug 12 12:14:07 UTC 2017

Reach out to Gino Villarini at Aeronet.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP

----- Original Message -----

From: "Mehmet Akcin" <mehmet at akcin.net>
To: "nanog" <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:27:57 AM
Subject: Puerto Rico Internet Exchange

Hey there!

... ok this time I am not going to call it PRIX ;) well name doesn't matter
really. Nearly 13 years ago I have attempted to start Puerto rico Internet
exchange in San Juan. I have lived there over 5 years and i just wanted to
really watch videos faster. The project somewhat died when i moved to LA
but now there are few interested party to start an internet exchange in
Puerto rico. The jsland historically had one of the slowest
broadband/internet services which seemed to have improved in recent years
however as of 2017 there still is not an IX in Puerto rico.

We , 3-4 internet engineers (on island and remote) , want to look into
relaunch of this IX and hopefully find a way to keep local traffic
exchanged at high speeds and low cost. We need expertise, and people who
want to help any way they can.

We are trying to make this IX a not-for-profit one and we are looking at
opeeating models to adapt which has worked incredibly well like Seattle IX.

We are hoping the relaunch to happen sometime in 2018. Thanks in advance
hope to share more info and traffic data sometime , soon. Watch this space!

Mehmet