US/Canada International border concerns for routing

Rod Beck rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com
Wed Aug 9 13:25:09 UTC 2017

I am not sure that this answers your question, but carriers are looking for more diversity on cross border traffic. Right now virtually all Toronto/NYC runs through Buffalo and 350 Main, Buffalo. May be Montreal/NYC has more options.

There have been huge network builds in the US Northeast by Unite and Firstlight, which are providing optical backhaul from cell towers. So more routing options may be available than in the past.

An issue that no one discussed in the age of the fiber. The big carriers and the Web Giants do not want to 1998 manufactured fiber. And some of the Web Giants are only putting 4x 100 gig waves per fiber pair. So the incentive to create new diverse routes with new large fiber builds is growing.

- R.