AS202746 Hijacks: Is Telia (a) stupid, or (b) lazy, or (c) complicit?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 08:19:06 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 3:36 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
wrote:

> P.S.   Over on some of the RIPE mailing lists, they've recently been
> discussing
> whether or not to continue allowing Joe Random Criminal to create totally
> unauthorized and totally unchecked/unverified (and typically bogus) route
> objects in the RIPE data base for so-called "out of region" IP address
> block
> resources.  Of course, if anybody had any brains or any backbone over on
> that
> side of the pond, they would have done this already ten years ago.  But
> such
> is the pace of change in the Old World, where even the most obvious things
> can't be implemented until everybody and his brother agrees, including even
> the stupid kid.

There are/were providers which required RIPE-IRR registration to accept
routes, I don't know that this is still the case, but it might account for
unwillingness to remove 'out of region' content. As well, there are folk
with space from more than just one RIR, who may have chosen (for a myriad
of resaons) to centralize their IRR content on a single IRR.

Sometimes your message is lost in the emotive editorializing :(