BCP38 adoption "incentives"?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Sep 29 20:57:52 UTC 2016

Even if the customers are unaware of the spoofed traffic, ISPs
should be aware which leaves them open for "aiding and abetting".
This doesn't require inspecting the payload of the packets.  This
is the IP header which they are expected to examine and for which
there is a BCP saying to drop spoofed packets.  Sources are used
for policy routing so the source field is expected to be processed.

I would expect a Judge to take into consideration the BCP in deciding
whether a ISP should be aware of the issue when deciding if a ISP
is aiding and abetting by allowing spoofed packets to enter their
network.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC