Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network after DDoS attack proves pricey

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Tue Sep 27 17:50:02 UTC 2016

On 9/27/16 11:18 AM, Brielle Bruns wrote:
> On 9/27/16 10:05 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:
>>> I point to the current trend of parents watching and smiling, doing
>>> nothing as their kids destroy people's stores and restaurants.  ISPs
>>> are literally doing the exact same thing when it comes to coddling
>>> their customers.
>>
>> They can *see* the unruly children, but *choose* to ignore them.  That's
>> the difference.
>
> I call shenanigans on providers not seeing their unruly users.  They
> have no problems with bandwidth caps, or doing the dirty work of
> copyright police, both of which require some level of network monitoring
> per customer.

Or even better example - the providers who monetize customer
browsing/shopping habits using third party network device?  Or
SiteFinder like services with their DNS?

Providers have no problems monitoring, intercepting, mangling.

I know people here will say, "Well, I'm not like that/don't believe in
that!", but we're not talking about technical decisions - but decisions
made by people who's job is to squeeze as much profit out of the
customers as possible.

There is no financial incentive or penalty for preventing/limiting your
customers from harming others.  If there was, I don't think we'd be
having this discussion.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org