Request for comment -- BCP38

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Tue Sep 27 04:37:42 UTC 2016

This seems to have split into a few different sub-threads and had some
cross-talk on which network is being described where (thanks in no small
part to my flub on John's figures and target), but this seems to be exactly
the kind of info folks are looking for but missing at
http://www.bcp38.info.

In the interest of clarity, does this roughly cover the options/challenges
people are seeing at various types of networks?

Network #1
----------

Customer has PI space.  ISP A learns routes to the customer's PI space
across the customer links via BGP or even static routes.
ISP A's active forwarding path to the PI space is via the customer link.
We're assuming an edge provider, i.e. the customer is not providing transit
for further downstream networks.

BCP 38 implementation:
Strict uRPF on customer-facing interfaces should "Just Work".
If egress source address filtering is implemented, this can/should be
populated from IRR data.

Network #2
----------

Same as #1, except while ISP A does have a valid forwarding path to the
customer's PI space via the customer link, that is *not* the active path.
Examples could be that customer prefers ingress via another link (either
with ISP A or another provider altogether) and so prepends, uses provider
communities to depref the advertisement below another path, etc.

BCP38 implementation:
Feasible Path RPF[1] should work, but AFAIK is not supported on all
platforms.  Failure modes should be considered, though, and using feasible
path RPF would result in dropped traffic if the customer dropped the
announcement to ISP A in the future.  If Feasible Path RPF not supported or
viable, IRR data can/should be used to generate customer interface input
filters.
Same as #1, if egress source address filtering is implemented, this
can/should be populated from IRR data.

Network #3
----------

Same as #1, except the transit provider has *no* valid forwarding path to
the customer's PI space via the customer link.  IOW the customer is using
the transit provider for egress *only*, not ingress.

Feasible Path RPF is not viable.  Input filters are required on
customer-facing interfaces, and can/should be generated from IRR data.
Same as #1 and 2, if egress source address filtering is implemented, this
can/should be populated from IRR data.

PA space variants to Networks #1 - 3
------------------------------------

Flipping all of the above scenarios to PA space rather than PI, the options
for implementing uRPF are the same.  Where I would consider things becoming
more challenging is on generating input filters on customer-facing
interfaces were strict or Feasible Path RPF are not viable, or egress
source address filters if those are in use.

Mark:

You mentioned the option of leveraging ROAs for validating customer
prefixes allocated by other ISPs.  I must admit my RPKI knowledge needs
some love, but my understanding is that ROAs link prefixes to a given ASN,
with the ROA signed by the private key from the resource holder's
certificate.  Would this validation option for PA allocations be applicable
only in cases where the customer holds an ASN to which the prefix could be
linked?  In other words the prefix on the ROA would be the PA prefix
allocated by ISP B, the ASN on the ROA would be the customer's ASN, and the
private key signing the ROA would belong to ISP B, as they are the resource
holder?

Hopefully not downgrading this conversation, but lacking RPKI validators at
ISP A and a valid RPKI setup at ISP B, and assuming that the customer has
an ASN, this info could also be generated from IRR data as well, no?  I
mean, dropping a /29 into a routing registry won't do much good in terms of
getting announcements accepted, but it could still be leveraged for this
use case to generate filter prefix lists, right?

If this is not tied to a customer ASN (because they don't have one) but
rather to ISP B's ASN, how does ISP A vet that a ROA-validated prefix tied
to ISP B's ASN applies to this particular customer?  Absent RPKI and
falling back to IRR, same question?

Network #4
----------

Customer has broadband connections from ISP A and ISP B.  If I'm not
totally out to lunch above re: needing an ASN for the customer to leverage
an ROA-based solution as Mark touched on, are we stuck in either manual
ACLs or asking or writing new implementations as John described?

On Mon 2016-Sep-26 16:04:33 -0000, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
> I realize there's no way to do it automatically now, but it doesn't seem
> like total rocket science to come up with some way for providers to pass
> down a signed object to the customer routers that the routers can then
> pass back up to the customer's other providers.

Transit touchdown interfaces

This is Baldur's scenario.  Barring both upstreams maintaining manual
filters that cover the touchdown networks handed to their mutual customers,
it seems either Mark's or John's suggestions could be potential solutions
here?

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3704#section-2.3