Request for comment -- BCP38

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Mon Sep 26 15:12:54 UTC 2016

On Mon 2016-Sep-26 10:47:24 -0400, Ken Chase <math at sizone.org> wrote:

>This might break some of those badly-behaving "dual ISP" COTS routers out there
>that use different inbound from outbound paths since each is the fastest of
>either link.

As it should.

If you have links from both ISP A and ISP B and decide to send traffic out
ISP A's link sourced from addresses ISP B allocated to you, ISP A *should*
drop that traffic on the floor.  There is no automated or scalable way for
ISP A to distinguish this "legitimate" use from spoofing; unless you
consider it scalable for ISP A to maintain thousands if not more
"exception" ACLs to uRPF and BCP38 egress filters to cover all of the cases
of customers X, Y, and Z sourcing traffic into ISP A's network using IPs
allocated to them by other ISPs?

If you want to play asymmetry tricks, get some PI space and make
arrangements.  If that's outside your wheelhouse, get an ISP that will sell
this to you as a service either with dissimilar links they provide to you
or over-the-top with tunnels etc.

Playing NAT games with different classes of traffic to e.g. send traffic
type 1 over ISP A and traffic type 2 over ISP B *BUT* using the
corresponding source addresses in each case and having the traffic return
back over the same links is fine and dandy.  If you send traffic into an
ISP-provided link using addresses from another provider, though, that ISP
*should* be dropping that traffic.  If they don't, send them here so we can
yell at them.

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal