BCP38 deployment [ was Re: Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network after DDoS attack proves pricey ]

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Mon Sep 26 04:19:31 UTC 2016

On Sun 2016-Sep-25 15:59:15 -0700, Stephen Satchell <list at satchell.net> wrote:

>On 09/25/2016 07:32 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>>>From: "Jay Farrell via NANOG" <nanog at nanog.org>

>>Well, given how few contributions we've gotten at bcp38.info in the last,
>>what, 4 years, yeah, I guess so...
>>

>Yeah, right.  I looked at BCP38.info, and there is very little
>concrete information.  I've been slogging through the two RFCs, 2827
>and 3794, and find it tough sledding to extract the nuggets to put
>into my firewall and routing table.  One of the more interesting new
>additions to my systems is this, to the routing tables:

### snip ###

>In short, I have yet to see a "cookbook" for BGP38 filtering, for ANY
>filtering system -- BSD, Linux, Cisco.

I am guilty of not yet contributing cookbook-type info to BCP38.info, but:

Cisco:
http://www.bcp38.info/index.php/HOWTO:Cisco points at
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/security-center/unicast-reverse-path-forwarding.html

Juniper:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.2/topics/usage-guidelines/interfaces-configuring-unicast-rpf.html
http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos15.1/topics/topic-map/unicast-rpf.html

Linux:
From /etc/sysctl.conf:

# Uncomment the next two lines to enable Spoof protection (reverse-path
# filter)
# Turn on Source Address Verification in all interfaces to
# prevent some spoofing attacks
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=1

Unfortunately, the net.ipv6 equivalents for those do not yet seem to be a
thing on Linux.

For a belt-and-suspenders approach:
If you're running an edge network and not transiting traffic for any other
AS, consider using your assigned aggregates prefix lists to filter on
egress on your edge for anything not sourced from those aggregates.

I'm curious as to the deployment scope and experiences of various sizes of
networks in deploying the following:

1.  Strict uRPF on customer-facing ports on edge networks

2.  Source address filtering on upstream edge egress based on assigned
aggregates

3.  Destination address filtering on upstream edge ingress based on
assigned aggregates

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal