Domain renawals

Richard Holbo holbor at sonss.net
Thu Sep 22 18:44:25 UTC 2016

Since the circular notion of why we need glue records has already been
addressed, I won't hit that here...

I would agree with "you're probably having trouble with your registrar's
user interface".  In doing some work for a company that had a number of
domains registered at 1and1.com, they (1and1) have a webpage about how to
setup glue records, talks about it, but it does not work, and when you call
their support, (google has many descriptions of the same issue)... they say
that the only way it works is if you host your DNS with them, which kinda
defeats the purpose.

Whether this is just bad UI, bad support, or they just don't think it's
necessary for most of their business ... does not really matter,
effectively they are telling the customer who needs that to go somewhere
else.

In that process (going somewhere else) I've discovered that some registrars
make it pretty easy, some ignore it completely. As there are probably
fairly few of us than actually need this functionality I think a lot of
less expensive registrars, just ignore it.

Just throwing this out there in response to OP as something to watch out
for because if you need it...

Netsol, and Hover make it easy, Godaddy is not intuitive but doable FYI,
IMHO. (DISCLAIMER not a complete list just my current limited experience,
not meant to denigrate any other registrar that's not mentioned, please no
flames).

/rh