importance of fiber cleaning

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Wed Sep 21 09:53:49 UTC 2016

This is a very comprehensive article, and worth handing out to techs. I have one comment on Balder’s OTDR suggestion, and one on the article’s microscope instructions.

Although it certainly can’t hurt to run an OTDR test (except for extended downtime), I fear hauling out the extra gear will prompt many techs to put off fiber cleaning. In my experience, just doing the cleaning solves 99.9% of the problem. Anything that an OTDR would pick up would likely severely impact performance, while dirty connector will just increase the error rate.

Also, the article didn’t mention eye safety when using a fiber microscope. The example showed a USB digital video microscope, but many maintainer kits in the field have much cheaper direct-view optical microscopes. Viewing an energized fiber with a direct-view microscope can cause major eye damage. I recommend all fiber kits throw out their optical scopes and substitute a USB or WiFI scope (some of these can be used with a cell phone or tablet).

 -mel