Customers announcing communities to SP of SP

Theodore Baschak theodore at ciscodude.net
Mon Sep 19 20:28:50 UTC 2016

In a previous $dayjob at a different ASN I was customers of a large-ish
regional Canadian carrier (at 100M), and also of a small local guy (at 8M)
with only Cogent upstream. I would prepend out the local guy 3x, and then I
also tagged 174:3003 to have cogent prepend 3x more. This worked somewhat
OK to make up for the inbalance in speeds.

This type of use case is supported by, and works well with
draft-heitz-idr-large-community. As an operator of a 32-bit ASN I have no
ability to use communities with my ASN in them like 16-bit ASN operator
could, and I have expressed so on the IETF IDR list.

Theodore Baschak - AS395089 - Hextet Systems
https://ciscodude.net/ - https://hextet.systems/
http://mbix.ca/