PlayStationNetwork blocking of CGNAT public addresses

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Fri Sep 16 13:12:46 UTC 2016

All,

We operate an access network with several hundred thousand users. Increasingly
we're putting the users behind CGNAT in order to continue to give them an IPv4
service (we're all dual-stack, so they all get public IPv6 too). Due to the
demographic of our users, many of them are gamers.

We're hitting a problem with PlayStationNetwork 'randomly' blocking some of our
CGNAT outside addresses, because they claim to have received anomalous, or
'attack' traffic from that IP. This obviously causes problems for the other
legitimate users who end up behind the same public IPv4 address.

Despite numerous attempts to engage with PSN, they are unwilling to give us
any additional information which would allow us to identify the 'rogue' users
on our network, or to identify the 'unwanted' traffic so that we could either
block it, or use it to identify the rogue users ourselves.

Has anyone else come up against the problem, and/or have any suggestions on
how best to resolve it?

Many thanks in advance,

Simon