QWEST.NET can you fix your nameservers

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Sep 15 23:30:56 UTC 2016

In message <CAEE+rGp5BG=qyDfka2KYVfYmZdjC9EZBDD=OkZCNC7264Xt48A at mail.gmail.com>
, "Aaron C. de Bruyn" writes:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> >
> > Aaron,
> >        How am I supposed to know which DNS vendor to contact?  DNS
> >

> Sorry--I should have added a /sarcasm tag.  :)
>

> > The best way to get this fixed would be for nameservers to be checked
> > for protocol compliance, by the parent zone operators or their
> > proxies regularly.  That the child zone operator be given a short
> > (< 3 months) to fix it then all zones with that server get removed
> > from the parent zone until the server is fixed (apply the final
> > step in the complaints proceedures from RFC 1033) which forces the
> > owner of the zone to fix the server or to move to someone who follows
> > the protocol.  The servers for new delegations be checked immediately
> > and the delegation not proceed unless the delegated servers are
> > protocol compliant.
> >

> Seems a bit harsh, but I'm new to the conversation.  What is being out of
> compliance actually hurting other than the nameserver operator and the
> zones they host?

So your helpdesks don't get problem reports when people can't look
up domain names?  Recursive DNS vendors don't get bug reports when
domain names can't be looked up.  We don't get fixes developed
because there are too many broken servers out there.

Because some servers don't answer EDNS requests this leads to false
positives on servers not support EDNS when they do.  This in turn
leads to DNSSEC validation failures as you don't get DNSSEC answers
without EDNS.

IPv6 deployment was put back years because AAAA DNS lookups got
wrong answers.

DANE deployment is slow because DNS servers give bad answers to
_<port>._tcp.<server-name>/TLSA.

Then there is SPF.  A fare portion of the reason why the SPF record
failed, despite it being architectually cleaner than using TXT
records, is that some nameservers gave bad responses to SPF queries.

I could go find more examples of the cost of non DNS protocol
compliance.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org