Lawsuits for falsyfying DNS responses ?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Sep 15 20:03:44 UTC 2016

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 12:14 AM, Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca> wrote:
>
> On 2016-09-13 03:42, LHC wrote:
>> I believe that the CRTC has rules against censorship - meaning that Videotron, Bell etcetera have a choice between following the CRTC code or the provincial law (following one = sanctions from the other), rendering internet service provision to Québec impossible without being a dialup provider from out-of-province.
>

> Canada's Telecom Act (*) dates from 1993, which predates the Internet
> being a primary transporter that drives the economy.
>
> The clause being looked at by the CRTC is 36:
>
> Content of Messages
>
> 36 Except where the Commission approves otherwise, a Canadian carrier
> shall not control the content or influence the meaning or purpose of
> telecommunications carried by it for the public.
>
> There is not explicit clause about a carrier not modyfying content or
> blocking access, so one has to frame an issue to fit existing clauses.

Please explain to me how one modifies a request or response without
managing to “control the content” or “influence the meaning or purpose”?

Blocking a request or simply failing to answer MIGHT be within the law,
but returning a false record certainly seems to me that it would run afoul
of the law cited.

Owen