"Defensive" BGP hijacking?

Doug Montgomery dougm.work at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:21:41 UTC 2016

Mel,

If you are speaking of RPKI based origin validation, I am not sure
"automated / global enforcement system" is a useful description.   It does
provide a consistent means for address holders to declare AS's authorized
to announce prefixes, and a means for remote ASs to compare received
updates vs such declarations.   What the receiving AS does with the
validation information is strictly a local policy matter.

Frankly, this is no more a "new automated enforcement system" than
IRR-based route filtering has been for 20 years.  The only difference is
that there is a consistent security model across all 5 RIRs as to who can
make such declarations and it is tightly tied to the address allocation
business process.

I have seen a lot of FUD about the specter of interference, but not a lot
of serious thought / discussion.  Having a serious technical discussion of
potential risks and mitigations in the system would be useful.

dougm

--
DougM at Work