"Defensive" BGP hijacking?

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Sep 12 18:43:48 UTC 2016

John,

I appreciate you making this statement, and I appreciate ARIN’s attitude that this is a community issue. ISPs have done an amazing job of self-regulation, while still preserving their ability to innovate and be agile in the marketplace. BGP is a perfect example of that kind of self-policing.

Outside regulation is rarely preferable to community self control, and I think a clear path forward is for those of us in the community to contact BackConnect and respectfully ask that they recognize their incorrect actions and repudiate this practice for the future. Everyone deserves a chance to recognize their mistakes and apologize, so I think we owe BackConnect this much.

Nanog seems like a great place for BackConnect to reply to the ISP community as well.

 -mel