"Defensive" BGP hijacking?

Richard Hesse richard.hesse at weebly.com
Mon Sep 12 17:32:18 UTC 2016

This behavior is never defensible nor acceptable.

In addition to being in the wrong with BGP hijacking a prefix, it
appears that Mr. Townsend had the wrong target, too. We've been
attacked a few dozen times by this botnet, and they could never muster
anything near 200 gbps worth of traffic. They were orders of magnitude
smaller, only around 8-16 gbps depending on attack.

Mr. Townsend's motives were wrong and so was his information.

-richard