Optical transceiver question

frnkblk at iname.com frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Sep 12 03:29:58 UTC 2016

In discussions with the reseller he admitted that they market the distance
based on average TX power and average link loss, so it is possible to
purchase optics that may not be able to attain certain necessary link
budgets and therefore distances.

There are 1270/1310 nm BiDi optics with a worst-case link margin of 19 dB.
Assuming a loss of 0.38 dB/km
(https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/optical-networking/ons-15454-son
et-multiservice-provisioning-platform-mspp/27042-max-att-27042.html) that's
just 50 km.  Of course, with a link margin of 24 dB that would be 61.5 km.
So unless you assume best-cast scenarios, 60 km is a stretch.

Frank