Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Oct 31 10:57:00 UTC 2016

Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> You are correct.  In this case, it would have been helpful if APNIC's WHOIS
> server returned something, when queried about 103.11.67.105, that would
> include an explicit referral to the ARIN WHOIS server.  I mean they
> obviously know all the transfers they've made.

Yes, the state of whois referrals from RIRs is a bit of a mess.

I have changed FreeBSD whois to rely more on referrals than built-in
knowledge, and this mostly works. There are a couple of hacks to cope with
awkward RIRs: AfriNIC's referrals are human-readable though they can be
parsed if you assume the rubric is fixed; for RIPE, if the netname is
NON-RIPE-NCC-MANAGED-ADDRESS-BLOCK it is treated as a referral to ARIN;
there's a similar hack for APNIC's ERX-NETBLOCKs - but evidently this
doesn't apply to more recently transferred net blocks :-(

It's probably time to make whois use RDAP under the covers for address
lookups. Bah.

Tony.
Southeast Iceland: Westerly veering northwesterly 6 to gale 8, decreasing 4 or
5 for a time. Rough or very rough, occasionally high at first, then becoming
moderate in west. Showers. Good, occasionally poor.