Spitballing IoT Security

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Oct 30 05:19:18 UTC 2016

In message <20161030044342.GA18488 at thyrsus.com>,
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

>Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>:
>>                         Two kids with a modest amount of knowledge
>> and a lot of time on their hands can do it from their mom's basement.
>
>I in turn have to call BS on this.  If it were really that easy, we'd
>be inundated by Mirais -- we'd have several attacks a *day*.

You need to get out more.

    http://www.nab.org/cybersecurity/Verisign-report-ddos-trends-Q22016.pdf

It *is* happening every day.  You just don't hear about it on CNN because
a "little"  80Mbps DDoS isn't even worthy of a headline anymore, even
though such an attack could CRUSH a local bank, and even many regional
banks into utter oblivion.

Now, where did I put those bitcoins...  It's ransom time!

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  Of course, things were oh so much better, ya know, back in those
idylic halcyon days a decade and a half ago...

    Denial of e-commerce
    Feb 10th 2000
    http://www.economist.com/node/281531

      "... The Computer Emergency Response Team of Carnegie Mellon University
      hears of roughly four DOS attacks a day..."

Whew!  I guess we need to count our blessings that insightful visionary
industry leaders came forward, back in the early 00s, and spearheaded
the global changes necessary to insure that DDoS attacks would become a
thing of the past, and a distant memory.

Oh!  Wait!  Nevermind.  Sorry.  I guess that I was dozing off and dreaming
again.

At the current rate of progress I think that I can confidently predict
that the Internet industry ought to have this whole problem completely
licked by the early 23rd century, you know, at the very latest.