Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Oct 29 20:28:35 UTC 2016

Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> Oh, geeeezzzzz!  ...
>
>     Showing 1 to 10 of 1,823 entries

Yeah, get over it.  Number resource transfers are a thing, and this
number is only going to increase.

> You are correct.  In this case, it would have been helpful if APNIC's WHOIS
> server returned something, when queried about 103.11.67.105, that would
> include an explicit referral to the ARIN WHOIS server.  I mean they
> obviously know all the transfers they've made.
>
> But I guess that somebody somwhere decided that that's just too much
> trouble.

David Conrad already pointed out that this problem has been solved using
RDAP which supports referrals.  Try installing the nicinfo command from:

https://github.com/arineng/nicinfo

At a guess, I'd say referrals haven't been implemented in whois because
the whois "protocol" is unfixably broken and unsuitable for distributed
information sharing.

Nick