Spitballing IoT Security

bzs at TheWorld.com bzs at TheWorld.com
Sat Oct 29 19:54:35 UTC 2016

On October 29, 2016 at 15:35 beecher at beecher.cc (Tom Beecher) wrote:
 > "That means the motive was prep for terrorism or cyberwar by a
 > state-level actor. "
 >
 > Or, quite possibly ( I would argue probably) it was marketing. Show off the
 > capabilities of the botnet to garner more interest amongst those who pay for
 > use of such things.

Supposedly Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's widely publicized video of him
beheading Daniel Pearl was basically an ad for his group's for-hire
mercenary services. Look at how ruthless we are! Didn't seem to lead
to much of a career.

However the one fly in this ointment is that the Mirai virus code has
since been distributed. So unless there's some critical piece of that
they've held back it's not much of a property.

If that's true, that the virus code was subsequently distributed by
the actors, it also raises doubts about a state actor. Why would they
distribute the code? State actors tend to work in an atmosphere of
secrecy unless they're flaunting their deeds.

But, whatever, one doesn't know until one knows.

--
        -Barry Shein