Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat Oct 29 18:42:27 UTC 2016

In message <5814696F.3060106 at foobar.org>,
Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

>Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>>  I always start with whatver whois.iana.org has to
>> say.  And it says that that 103.0.0.0/8 belongs to APNIC, so of course,
>> I only looked at what whois.apnic.net had to say about 103.11.67.105.
>
>yeah, this prefix was transferred from APNIC to ARIN.  You can search
>for the details here:
>
>https://www.apnic.net/manage-ip/manage-resources/transfer-resources/transfer-logs

Oh, geeeezzzzz!  ...

    Showing 1 to 10 of 1,823 entries

>> This isn't the first time I've wished that the right hand knew (or cared)
>> what the left hand was doing.  I've asked the folks at IANA about this
>> sort of thing in the past, i.e. them giving pointers to the apparently
>> wrong RiR whois server, and they just won't fix it.
>
>It's not an IANA problem to fix.  IANA handles the initial allocation...

You are correct.  In this case, it would have been helpful if APNIC's WHOIS
server returned something, when queried about 103.11.67.105, that would
include an explicit referral to the ARIN WHOIS server.  I mean they
obviously know all the transfers they've made.

But I guess that somebody somwhere decided that that's just too much
trouble.

Regards,
rfg