IPv6 automatic reverse DNS

Wesley George wesgeorge at puck.nether.net
Sat Oct 29 12:40:42 UTC 2016

> On Oct 28, 2016, at 11:03 PM, White, Andrew <Andrew.White2 at charter.com> wrote:
>
> There are two competing drafts for synthetic rule-based PTR responses for IPv6 rDNS:
>
> Howard Lee, Time Warner Cable (now Charter)
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-isp-ip6rdns-08
>
> J. Woodworth, CenturyLink
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-woodworth-bulk-rr/

At the risk of getting into IETF administrivia, a little clarification is important here: The first draft you mention above was replaced by the draft I referenced in my previous email. It is currently an adopted WG draft in DNSOP, moving toward working group last call as a consensus document., thus the window for capturing and incorporating feedback is closing soon. The second document does not appear to be associated with any IETF Working Group yet, but it also isn't competing with the first document. The first draft is informational status, discussing the issues and considerations surrounding this problem, of which generating on-the-fly reverse records is one possible solution. The second draft is a proposed standard defining *how* to generate those on-the-fly reverse records assuming one decides that is the right path to take in one's network, and would dovetail nicely via reference to section 2.5 of isp-ip6-rdns.

Wes George