Another day, another illicit SQUAT - WebNX (AS18450) 103.11.67.0/24

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Oct 29 09:40:20 UTC 2016

Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In my actual comment I merely noted that RIRs are in fact -not- the
> Internet Police, and that none of them have ever displayed even the
> slightest desire to become that (and indeed, when asked, they have,
> without exception, exhibited a clear desire -not- to be assigned any
> such role).

just to be clear: this is a bottom up position, not top-down.  The
registry roles of the RIRs exist by mandate of the communities they
serve to provide a database of integer allocations and assignments.  If
there's been no inclination to become "Internet Police", it's because
their memberships do not want their respective RIRs to take on this role.

> Given that I do not have an entirely unequivocal admiration for the
> quality and consistancy of the work that RIRs are already clearly
> responsible for, do you really believe that it would be my first
> choice to assign an entirely seperate but equally critical set of
> -new- authorities and responsibilities to the RiRs?

This will, of course, vary between RIRs.  At least in the RIPE NCC
service region, all allocations and assignments by the RIPE NCC are
covered by written contractual links and complete records of these
contracts are kept by the organisation.  Sub-assignments by LIRs may not
be as accurate.  Other RIR service regions will have different policies.

> P.S.  I may be wrong about this, but it has come to my attention that
> many, most, or all of the WHOIS records reflecting allocations made by
> the AFRINIC RIR are utterly devoid of either (a) information specifying
> the dates on which the relevant allocations were made or (b) email
> contact addresses for the relevant number resource registrants.

Works fine for me.  Did you use the "-B" flag when querying the Afrinic
irrdb?

% whois -h whois.afrinic.net " -B x.x.x.x"

Nick