CenturyLink in Advanced Talks to Merge With Level 3 Communications - Interweb is doomed

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sat Oct 29 00:32:18 UTC 2016

It's funny you should mention that. I just learned that our CL traffic rides on a single lambda is a Level3 fiber. Oddly, though, the cost to buy that same circuit directly from Level3 is twice as high.

Which bodes ill for circuit pricing in the reduced-competition environment following the merger. A similar thing happened to us when L3 bought TWT. In both cases L3 says "but you're getting such a better network!" Alas, that turned out to be not the case with the TWT acquisition, as merger mishaps caused numerous outages.

 -mel