Spitballing IoT Security

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Oct 27 21:13:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> My iPhone 3GS still works just fine,

I still have a "functional" iPhone 3G (no S).  I don't think AT&T will
activate service on it at this point, and it's been relegated to iPod
service when I do yard work.

> You can't *force* people to throw away or trade-in their old tech products,
> especially when, from the user's point of view, there doesn't -seem- to be
> anything wrong with them... like all of those pre- Sept. 2015 Internet video
> cameras.

Sure you can.  Just make the tech dependent on "the cloud" and when the
device is too old, force retirement by no longer supporting it.  That
doesn't force it off the network (unless the final command from the cloud
is "shut off [your network interface]?"), but it makes the user much more
likely to toss it and replace it with something newer if they still want
such a device.

This is one of my bigger concerns every time I buy something that's "cloud
controlled".  Not so much that the manufacturer will force it's
retirement, but "what happens if they go belly up, or just kill the
division that supports my device?"  A cloud controlled networked device,
with no cloud, is not terribly useful.