Spitballing IoT Security

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Wed Oct 26 15:45:11 UTC 2016

Eric,

I agree that the home router is a viable choke point, and even though we can’t quickly roll out new firmware, if we had started this ten years ago we’d be done by now! So this is the ten-year plan, but still worth doing.

I also really like the idea of offering open source options to vendors, many of whom seem to illegally take that privilege anyway. A key fast-path component, though, is in my opinion a new RFC for IoT security best practices, and probably some revisions to UPNP.

The IoT RFC would spell out basic rules for safe devices: no back doors, no default passwords, no gratuitous inbound connections, etc. It would also make encryption a requirement, and limit how existing UPNP is deployed to prevent unnecessarily exposing vulnerable TCP/UDP ports to the wild. With this RFC in hand, and an appropriate splashy icon for vendor packaging (“RFC 9999 ThingSafe!”), vendors will have a competitive reason for compliance as a market differentiator, whether they deploy with open-source or proprietary code.

This need not add a lot to R&D costs either, as enterprising embedded system designers will now be motivated to delivering packaged ThingSafe! solutions, such as embedded wireless controllers, cellular modems, etc.

Your open-source approach seems to me something that could be started today, and that has no downside. The RFC could give it the imprimatur of a standard, which makes the plan easier for vendors to sell to their thrift-minded management.

 -mel