Dyn DDoS this AM?

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Sat Oct 22 01:35:41 UTC 2016

On 21 October 2016 at 18:12, Jean-Francois Mezei
<jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-10-21 18:45, david raistrick wrote:
>
>> switch too..).   setting TTLs that make sense for a design that supports
>> change is also easy.
>
> Cuts both ways. Had Twitter had TTLs of say 7 days, vast majority
> wouldn't notice an outage of a few hours because their local cache wa
> still valid.

In practice TTLs tend to be ignored on the public internet. In past
research I've been involved with browser[0] behavior was effectively
random despite the TTL set.

[0] more specifically, the chain of DNS resolution and caching down to
the browser.

--
Eitan Adler