nested prefixes in Internet

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 20:29:29 UTC 2016

Hi

Solution B is what happens by default and requires no changes by any
party. A, B and C just do what they would do in any transit relation.
The default BGP shortest AS path length first algorithm will make sure
that traffic is delivered correctly.

Solution A requires that ISP A actively filter the /24 announcement and
that would have severe negative impact. It would mean that you would not
receive any traffic at all through that link unless the link to ISP B is
down. Not even traffic from A to B (that would go A -> C -> B because of
the more specific). Maybe you meant that they would only filter the /24
announcement on the peering link between A and C, but that would have no
effect and therefore makes no sense.

Remember that ISP A is only originating their own /19. The /24 route
announcement is received from ISP B and merely propagated (not
originated) to ISP As uplink and peers. The moment that the link between
A and B is down, the /24 route announcement will gone as well - instead
A will be receiving the /24 route announcement via C.

Regards,

Baldur