nested prefixes in Internet

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 21:59:20 UTC 2016

Den 10/10/2016 kl. 22.27 skrev Owen DeLong:
> Not true… There are myriad reasons that the /24 might not reach a network peered with ISP-A, including the possibility of being a downstream customer of a network peered with or buying transit from ISP-A. In the latter case, not an issue, since it’s paid transit, but in the former (peered, not transit), again, ISP-A is probably not super excited to carry traffic that someone isn’t paying them to carry.

But ISP-A is in fact being paid to carry the traffic. Supposedly ISP-B
has a paid transit relation to ISP-A. In the case the transit link is
down ISP-A might have to transport the traffic through a less profitable
link however.

I know that if ISP-A was my network I would be making money even with
the transit link down. Yes I might have to transport something out of my
network through one of my transits, but outbound traffic is in fact free
for us because we are heavy inbound loaded.

Regards,

Baldur