IoT security, was Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sun Oct 9 20:07:48 UTC 2016

Barry,

The problem isn't authentication during initial installation, since that can be done using SSL and a web login to the cloud service. The problem is that vendors aren't even using minimal security protections, such as SSL, and then leaving devices open to inbound connections, which is bad even behind a firewall (because viruses typically scan LANs for these vulnerable devices). These are the devices exploited by hackers to become DDoS attack vectors.

 -mel beckman