IoT security, was Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Oct 9 18:30:37 UTC 2016

On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 18:05:20 -0000, Mel Beckman said:
> I don't know why it's "sub optimal" to use the cloud from an isolated network. Can you elaborate?

Why should something out in the cloud have any part of the communication,
other than perhaps telling your cellphone the current address of your widget?

(And *that* should probably have a standardized protocol/service rather than
every vendor rolling their own.  Hello, IETF?)

And even *that* can be bypassed if you cellphone is able to talk to your
home network directly.