IoT security, was Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sun Oct 9 15:46:50 UTC 2016

Stephen,

But they don’t, in fact, allow such a console. And I don’t think such a thing is even a good idea on IoT devices, because permitting inbound connections is a pathway to exploitation.

As I noted in my post, I’ve put it on its own VLAN, which is better than a DMZ: no inbound access at all, and no access to any other network or devices. I only permit port 80 outbound to the Lacrosse cloud server, and will get notified of any other traffic.

But this is a wired device, which made it easier to sequester. If it were WiFi my task would have been much harder, and most IoT devices do seem to be WiFi.

 -mel