A perl script to convert Cisco IOS/Nexus/ASA configurations to HTML for easier comprehension

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Sat Oct 8 17:15:42 UTC 2016

On 07/10/2016 17:59, Lee wrote:
> On 10/7/16, Hank Nussbacher <hank at efes.iucc.ac.il> wrote:
>> On 07/10/2016 00:33, Lee wrote:
>>> dunno about creating web pages, but
>>> https://www.nanog.org/meetings/abstract?id=785
>>> has a section on showing filters that are defined but not referenced &
>>> referenced but not defined
>> In IOS-XR it is one command "sho rpl unused ?"
>> RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:petach-tikva-gp#show rpl unused ?
>>   as-path-set       Display as-path-set objects
>>   community-set     Display community-set objects
>>   extcommunity-set  Display extended community objects
>>   prefix-set        Display prefix-set objects
>>   rd-set            Display rd-set objects
>>   route-policy      Display route-policy objects
>>   tag-set           Display tag-set objects
>>
>> RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:petach-tikva-gp#show rpl unused prefix
>> Fri Oct  7 08:24:53.237 IDT
>>
>> ACTIVE -- Referenced by at least one policy which is attached
>> INACTIVE -- Only referenced by policies which are not attached
>> UNUSED -- Not attached (directly or indirectly) and not referenced
> I'm actually starting to miss being out of the game.  I'm retired, so
> don't have access to anything running IOS-XR.  Just out of curiosity,
> how does the output of 'show rpl unused prefix' compare to the output
> of the script at  http://pastebin.com/pem7tHAJ
>
> Thanks,
> Lee

Samples:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:petach-tikva-gp#sho rpl unused as-path
Sat Oct  8 20:03:22.975 IDT

ACTIVE -- Referenced by at least one policy which is attached
INACTIVE -- Only referenced by policies which are not attached
UNUSED -- Not attached (directly or indirectly) and not referenced

The following as-path-sets are UNUSED
    aspath_191_p1_permit
P/0/RSP0/CPU0:petach-tikva-gp#sho rpl unused prefix
Sat Oct  8 20:03:56.826 IDT

ACTIVE -- Referenced by at least one policy which is attached
INACTIVE -- Only referenced by policies which are not attached
UNUSED -- Not attached (directly or indirectly) and not referenced

The following prefix-sets are UNUSED
    aspath_191_permit
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:petach-tikva-gp#sho rpl unused comm
Sat Oct  8 20:04:20.953 IDT

ACTIVE -- Referenced by at least one policy which is attached
INACTIVE -- Only referenced by policies which are not attached
UNUSED -- Not attached (directly or indirectly) and not referenced

The following community-sets are UNUSED
    378:3300
    378:65379

P/0/RSP0/CPU0:petach-tikva-gp#sho rpl unused rout
Sat Oct  8 20:05:22.857 IDT

ACTIVE -- Referenced by at least one policy which is attached
INACTIVE -- Only referenced by policies which are not attached
UNUSED -- Not attached (directly or indirectly) and not referenced

The following policies are (UNUSED)
    GEANT-QoS
    tagIIXroutes

Note the sloppy code - sometimes they state UNUSED and sometimes
(UNUSED).  Or "the following policies are"... rather than "the following
routing policies are".  Just plain sloppy Cisco coding and poor QA.  And
once you delete these unreferenced objects, "show rpl unused" will still
show them since there is a bug in Cisco code (CSCuy07932/CSCug9153). See:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/192481
for details.

-Hank