Legislative proposal sent to my Congressman

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Tue Oct 4 02:06:09 UTC 2016

> On Oct 3, 2016, at 6:52 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:
>
> It's the closed software that is fscking everything up right now.  A little sunshine on the code base will go a long way towards those people not losing their Ferrari's after all.

Or coming from a more legalistic view, if they lock things down that hard, they cannot possibly blame anyone else for having "rooted" the gear, therefore no passing the buck.  They would have to admit that it was their - and only their - code that was responsible for inflicting the damages.

I've been in the tech biz for 30+ years, and have worked for a wide range of organizations over that time.  The only common denominator across them all (small, large, and everything between - commercial and not) is that rapid response high level organizational change ONLY happen when the executives see the possibility of an imminent, significant, personal loss.  That might be monetary loss, or loss of reputation.  But it must be personally hurtful.  When the reaper appears on the horizon, it's amazing how quickly they see the path to redemption.

The sooner we all admit this is not a *technical* problem, the sooner we will eradicate it.

--lyndon